Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Best Band You'll Never Get to See

Perhaps there's a little hyperbole in the title, but not a lot.

Southeast Idaho is an interesting place to live. It is a very beautiful place to live, but the climate is dry, both physically and spiritually. We live in the shadow of Salt Lake City, and it makes for a daily battle.

For years I had heard glowing things about Lystra's Silence, a band from Idaho Falls. They played concerts around our area and beyond. I always meant to go see them, but life, school, work, family, etc. would get in the way. "One of these days I'll get to hear them," I'd think.

To my chagrin, I almost didn't.

After several years of plying their craft and constantly improving, the band has decided that this season is over for them. This was shocking, as I was talking to a friend just this summer who was enthusiastically describing their upcoming album, saying that they were due to break out in a big way. So when I saw a farewell concert advertised for August 31, I told my wife that we were going.

Man! I sure missed out all this time. Idaho isn't Nashville, Austin, or Seattle - we don't have a burgeoning music scene, especially not when it comes to quality Christian bands. This foursome was confident in their music and presentation. Not flashy, but the quality of the lyrics and musicianship was impressive.

They have just released a final album, Tremble Here. It starts off with a wonderful piano-driven track called "Change", which has been constantly on my iPod this month. It continues with several other insighful, worshipful songs without being in the vein of the current popular worship music. The songs aren't nice little chorus ditties maximized for CCM radio airplay. They are deep, investigating the darker side of our lives at times while always pointing to the light and grace from our glorious Lord.

Lystra's Silence's lead singer is Sherry Muchira, who reminds me at times of Michelle Tumes in her voice. This is a piano heavy band, and they don't rock out a lot. I lean more toward Switchfoot and Relient K in my usual musical preferences, but I can definitely appreciate a more meditative listening experience.

I'm posting hoping that you will check them out and see if their music is something you would like to add to your collection. They ended their run with some debt, and so if you enjoy their music, I encourage you to buy an album or two and support these great artists. You may not be able to see them, but you can partake in the fruit they've offered over the last few years.

You can hear samples from their current album on their MySpace page, and from their prior album at their band website. You can order music from either location, I believe.



No comments:

Post a Comment